Managing your gifts biblically, ethically, transparently, responsibly, and accountably.
Surprised by Hope is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit religious and charitable organization founded in the United States and registered in Uganda and Kenya. Bylaws and constitutions, along with Code of Ethics and Conflict of Interest policies, govern our board of directors and our day-to-day activities. An audit of financial policies and accounts is conducted annually.
YES, I want to be part of bringing freedom from poverty!
Your gifts are tax deductible to the fullest extent allowable by law.
Ministry Program Designation
Each ministry program represents a unique opportunity to experience freedom from poverty. Give on the individual ministry page or follow the “Designate” button to select the program that speaks to your heart. Enter your gift in any amount and we will honor that gift by providing for the unique needs of that program.
*Some ministry programs present specific needs in pre-determined amounts. If you would like to give toward that specific need, please comment in the donation box or go to the ministry-specific page to give.
With God’s help, every decision we make, every program we undertake, every single thing we do aims at freedom from poverty of body, mind, and spirit. Toward that end, we create lasting solutions to poverty by providing Christ-centered business education and fostering personal encounters with the love of God. Our ministry programs, spending, and future goals reflect that truth.
- Global Expansion. Train the trainers in countries around the world.
- East Africa Expansion. Establish Surprised by Hope in all East African countries.
- Country Directors. Install country-specific directors to assume administrative and ministry responsibilities.
- Ministry Center. Launch a Christian retreat/conference/training center in coastal Kenya.
- School of Kingdom Business. Establish a semi-formal school to complement the existing training infrastructure.
- Facilitator Training Accreditation. Obtain certificate-level accreditation from a Christian university for the School of Kingdom Business training program.
- Kingdom Business video curriculum. Produce 80+ hours of education in video form for use both locally and around the world.
- Business-in-a-Box. Release three new Box products annually.
- Donations include 58% recurring gifts.
- Fundraisers include 100 Christmas Dollies, BibleWorks, and Sensible Shoes as well as pandemic relief.
- Sales include handcrafts and curriculum.
- Miscellaneous includes AmazonSmile, western-founded ministry programs hosted locally, and gifts from national churches.
- Legal Admin and Operations include basic fixed expenses required for safe and legal operation in three countries such as audits, annual returns, work permits, and emergency medical evacuation insurance.
- An increase in overall income would result in a decrease in the Legal Admin and Operations percentages.
- The executive director does not receive a salary.